Roxey Ballet is proud to offer a sensory-friendly performance of the holiday classic Nutcracker for children and adults with ASD and other sensitivity issues or special needs.
What makes it "sensory-friendly"?
A friendly, supportive environment for families with a loved one with special needs. Adaptations to the performance are slight, including:
- lower sound levels
- elimination of potentially startling special effects and lighting
- house lights on at about 50%
PLUS, at this performance we have:
- relaxed house rules -- you are free to get up, move around, and leave whenever you need to
- allowed use of iPads and other electronics for therapeutic uses
- volunteers scattered throughout the theater to assist and direct audience members as needed
- quiet areas and activity areas in the lobby for taking a break
- fidget objects and earplugs available
- trained staff, dancers, ushers, and volunteers
Resources such as pre-visit social stories and picture schedules, are available on our website.
Discounts are offered on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or by joining our mailing list on our website at www.RoxeyBallet.org.